Select Page

A parenting plan or visitation schedule in Colorado is a final decree. However, in some cases, it is possible to make a modification to those plans.

Parenting plans are determined after taking all relevant factors into consideration. However, circumstances change and over a period of time, parents may realize that the original parenting plan has drawbacks that now need to be modified. There may be changes in parents’ marital lives or their financial situation. Parents may relocate, children may change schools, and there may be other circumstances that may require changes to the original parenting plan.

Colorado law does allow for modifications of child custody plans. It is obviously best if parents can negotiate and come to a settlement about any proposed changes to the parenting plan. This is a much more cost effective way of making the changes that you want to make your parenting plan.

However, if that is not possible, then you will have to go through the legal system. This will take a much longer time and may be much more expensive. You can make a modification to your parenting plan by filing a motion for modification of the parenting plan.

If you decide to move the court to make a modification to the existing parenting plan, you will have to provide the court with sufficient and solid evidence of the need for the modification. Remember, a modification is not granted very easily. The court must find that there has been a change in the circumstances of the family that has made it impossible for the spouses to stick to the earlier parenting plan. The court must also find that your parenting plan is now no longer in the best interests of the child.

A court will not grant a child custody modification very easily. If you want to modify your current parenting plan, speak to a Colorado family lawyer.